Thursday, July 16, 2009

Needing eagle's wings...

It's VBS week here at Bethel Church, and I volunteered for the music again.
And although I was not enthusiastic about the songs at all, I'm surprised at how well the children are doing with them.
The songs are by 'God Rocks" - an excellent group. But most of the songs don't seem to be written for children's voices to sing along with. The parts of the songs that are led by the male voices are too low for the children (and me), and when I move into the higher range, I find it too high for comfort. Well, we've adapted.We all know the words now, and we sing low with next to no volume, but you should hear the children when we go into the parts that are led be the female vocalists!!
Rather than learn all the songs, I've concentrated on 3, repeated a song from 2 years ago, and tomorrow we need to sing only 2. Relief. I thought I'd rather learn a couple really well, and that might get sung again in Sunday School, than learn difficult melodies with no chance of repetition. It's worked. The kids are doing us proud.
The theme this year is a galactic one: 'Starlight Rescue'. It ties in directly with the KidsFest being held across the nation this summer by the Billy Graham Association. Brockville is one of the cities chosen for a Fest to be held on August 15.
Starlight Rescue involves the station leader to be dressed up in 'space suits'. Outer space is a very cold place, but we're finding it to be a rather warm experience!
And we're all busy people away from VBS, so today we saw many tired faces.
Tomorrow, we'll be ending the morning with a short presentation for the parents, followed by hot dogs and a 'carnival' outside. Let's hope it'll be sunny but not too hot!
On another note - I've put my phone on vibe in my pocket when I'm away from home. I can't hear the ring sometimes, and I'm eager to hear of whom we will be welcoming into the family this week!

No comments: